/var/www/restricted/ssh/stm32/www/stm32circle/ STM CircleOS forum / BASIC

Username:     
Password:     

Forum

# 1   2007-11-09 13:56:31 BASIC

G.

BASIC

Hi there

Are there any plans to port a BASIC interpreter to the device? I appreciate the objective of the STM32Circle to to promote the STM32 and the RIDE environment, but I see potential for the device to introduce both educational users and non-C users too.

Regards

Gary

# 2   2007-11-09 15:49:51 BASIC

Francis
Administrator

Re: BASIC

No plan for any other language at the moment....
Note that the API for the added applications is quite simple, and another language could be used if the compiler complies with the parameter passing convention (first parameter in R0, second in R1, etc... ).

# 3   2007-11-19 17:06:34 BASIC

Rapido

This is a shame as this would be a great way to open the STM32 up to the education market.

# 4   2007-11-27 15:29:40 BASIC

georgestheking

Hi,

There is a very good language very easy to implement.

It is LUA ( www.lua.org ).

LUA need 100 k of memory and a few kbytes or RAM.

It is already implemented on a lot of devices.

Windows / Linux of course
                       PSP
                       PS2
                       Nintendo DS ( DSLUA )
                       LEGO NXT ( PBLUA )

Best regards

Georges

Last edited by georgestheking (2007-11-27 15:30:10)

# 5   2007-12-01 19:00:25 BASIC

dalewheat
Website

In all fairness, it's probably best in the long run not to get too excited about using the STM32 Primer in the educational market.  Despite its attractive appearance and user-friendliness, it was designed primarily as a development tool for embedded engineers.  It lacks certain features that would be required of a mass market retail device, such as intelligent battery charging and a support cirriculum.

Please don't think I'm Primer-bashing;  everyone on this forum knows how much I enjoy and appreciate having these handy little units around to work on.  I've finally got two of them so that I can proceed with my inter-Primer IrDA applications.  I've using these devices to help design educational products for a customer, but the STM32 Primer itself will remain in the lab.

Thanks,

Dale Wheat

# 6   2007-12-03 07:24:26 BASIC

Francis
Administrator

Regarding the battery:
when working for a long time (i.e. with a USB connection), the best is to remove the battery jumper. That's quite important to preserve the life of the battery,
We are thinking about the next generation of Primers. If anybody has a suggestion for a low cost intelligent battery charging, it will be very welcome.

# 7   2007-12-04 04:47:31 BASIC

dalewheat
Website

Francis,

ST makes a chip:  L6924D

It is less than US$2 in single quantities, so I'm thinking it will be cheaper by the thousands.

It's for a single cell lithium-ion battery.  This would charge directly from the USB connector.

Thanks,

Dale

# 8   2007-12-04 11:49:53 BASIC

Francis
Administrator

Thanks! We are going to search for low cost LI-ION battery now...

# 9   2007-12-06 08:03:49 BASIC

shug

How about the LP3947 from National Semiconductor?
www.national.com/pf/LP/LP3947.html
The web site claims $1.05 each.

# 10   2007-12-06 08:59:51 BASIC

Francis
Administrator

We found some low cost low cost LI-ION batteries. I believe that ST prefers we use ST devices -when available- , and the L6924D seems quite well for this purpose.

# 11   2007-12-06 13:08:24 BASIC

raptorguy

I kind of agree with dalewheat.  The Mikroelectronica range of boards (www.mikroe.com) are great for learning, they do mainly PIC stuff but there is also an ARM board.  Very robust build quality and plenty of expansion.  But I really like the Primer, and think for embedded engineers it's a great gadget to play with, Raisonance/ST hit the nail right on the head for this one.

Francis, this is slightly off-topic, but can we suggest other features for the Primer 2?  Could you start a new thread for a 'wish list'?  It would be nice to have a joypad button to replace the single press button (like on the STM3210B-EVAL board), this could potentially fit in the same place where the button is now.  I like the tilt sensor but sometimes it can be tricky using it, and not so good for immediate control.

James

# 12   2007-12-06 15:07:25 BASIC

Francis
Administrator

Thanks James for your suggestion. It's a good idea to build a wish list. For sure, we will not implement all the suggested extensions, but, at least we could discuss them and select the most important/realistic/cost effective.
At the moment, the following changes are almost decided:
1. better quality LCD monitor (TFT) with a more optimized (faster) interface,
2. intelligent battery monitoring
3. irda (soldered!)
4. extension connector (to provide CAN/I2C,... ports).

At the meantime, we can continue to improve the CircleOS (adding a memory allocator, concurrent applications,...)

Francis

# 13   2007-12-11 14:43:19 BASIC

englere

Someone recently wrote a BASIC interpreter in C for another Arm dialect so this might be portable to the STM32. The main area of concern is to support the I/O of the Circle device. Sounds doable. I will make a page for this interpreter soon, maybe by the time you read this. Check my site for a link to that page.

Regarding the next generation of the Circle device, PLEASE give me some I/O ports, at least enough pins for SPI, I2C, and some GPIO. I work with colleges and they love these devices, but they seriously need some I/O pins for educational purposes.

Internal I2C devices, such as RTC or Temperature sensor is also great for teaching students. I know this is not supposed to be a full-fledged development board, but right now the Arduino is winning in colleges because of it's low cost and I/O pins. The Circle32 could use some simple enhancements and it's cost could still be below $60.

Eric
http://www.EricEngler.com

# 14   2007-12-11 17:04:59 BASIC

shug

Francis :

Thanks James for your suggestion. It's a good idea to build a wish list.

I would concentrate on getting the existing versions out to those who want them!

# 15   2007-12-17 11:47:32 BASIC

resag

In terms of hardware changes for Circle2, one thing I'd really like is the ability to have a USB host (with connector) so that the circle can interface to external flash devices.  I can foresee various situations where the ability to read files during Application_Ini () would be beneficial.  I'd also like, eventually, to be able to write the MEMS data out via such a USB host to a flash device, but one step at a time!

resag

# 16   2008-02-05 17:22:41 BASIC

Atom

resag :

In terms of hardware changes for Circle2, one thing I'd really like is the ability to have a USB host (with connector) so that the circle can interface to external flash devices.  I can foresee various situations where the ability to read files during Application_Ini () would be beneficial.  I'd also like, eventually, to be able to write the MEMS data out via such a USB host to a flash device, but one step at a time!

resag

Oh ! USB-host. +1 for it. Would like to have it either.

# 17   2008-02-23 22:31:51 BASIC

graham

I haven't got my one yet, but I agree with the USB hosting.

If done, it gives ability for bluetooth (with added S/W), and/or external hub expansion.

Bluetooth potentially lets developers use it's MEMS as an input for bluetooth radio control of models, and also allows for bidirectional data, i.e. camera, image processing development work, robotics etc.

It also allows for electrical isolation of a live stmcircle from the PC, saving fried motherboards etc.

I had 4 years of my own business doing embedded design (mostly:AVR,PIC,VB6), but I'm an employee in an unrelated business at the moment, but looking to sneak back into the embedded design world. The cost of these chips is marginal, and we are going to see a continuation of embedding higher levels of complexity into our end products.

I understand the unused I/O on board is short 1 x external connector, whatever goes there, needs to be widely available, socket and plug ends.

Board footer