/var/www/restricted/ssh/stm32/www/stm32circle/ STM CircleOS forum / Most suitable STM32 Starter Kit for developing MIDI control surface

Username:     
Password:     

Forum
  • Index
  •  » Comments
  •  » Most suitable STM32 Starter Kit for developing MIDI control surface

# 1   2011-04-15 00:22:59 Most suitable STM32 Starter Kit for developing MIDI control surface

meow

Most suitable STM32 Starter Kit for developing MIDI control surface

Hello.
I have recently developed the idea of developing my own MIDI control Surface for interfacing with a PC / Apple Mac, in order to control DAW  (protools/Apple Logic Pro/Cubase) and have chosen to use the STM32 as the microprocessor for the MIDI control surface, with the idea of perhaps even continuing the development of the design by later also developing an digital mixer. (all products for personal use and non commercial at this point).

Now, I would be really grateful if someone could give me a little advise as to which developers starter kit to start with, as I am a little confused as to what the strengths and weaknesses are of the various kits and evaluation boards on the market.

My primary objective is to create a usable prototype midi control surface that has full duplex communication between control surface and connected PC/Mac
and contains the following components:

rotary encoders
buttons
lcd screens
led arrays
individual arrays
moto faders

Any advice would be really appreciated.
Sorry for the long thread, just wasnt sure how else to comunicate my ideas.
Thanks
Cheers

# 2   2011-05-02 22:15:53 Most suitable STM32 Starter Kit for developing MIDI control surface

pfandler

Re: Most suitable STM32 Starter Kit for developing MIDI control surface

Hi meow,

I recommend to split up your project into 4 steps/phases:

#1 write a desktop (PC or MAC) application that would represent the user interface, and implement all controls.
#2 get an Evoprimer and write an application that communicates with the desktop application via USB.
#3 develop the HW for MIDI communication and hook it up with the EvoPrimer. This could also be a factory extension board.
#4 gradually migrate the desktop app's functionality into the Evoprimer.

If you follow these steps, you can start without any investments. If you can write the user interface for the PC pr MAC then you will have the model of the uController application in C or Java or whatever language you use. Having a working prototype it's much easier to start an embedded project.

After the Step #1 if you still feel like developing the HW ;-) , then you can continue to step #2 with very little investment. Then if you can "talk" to the Evoprimer via USB, you can think about the 3rd step and so on.

I recommended the Evoprimer just because it is built into a nice plastic box which you can get it in your hand. It also supports powerful MCUs that probably match your needs.

BR, Peter

# 3   2011-08-03 07:54:26 Most suitable STM32 Starter Kit for developing MIDI control surface

elexharris

Re: Most suitable STM32 Starter Kit for developing MIDI control surface

MIDI control interface is a wonderfull device

Cegonsoft

• Index
  •  » Comments
  •  » Most suitable STM32 Starter Kit for developing MIDI control surface

Board footer