/var/www/restricted/ssh/stm32/www/stm32circle/ STM CircleOS forum / Primer2 developing on Linux, alternative Firmware/Assembly

Username:     
Password:     

Forum
  • Index
  •  » STM32 primer
  •  » Primer2 developing on Linux, alternative Firmware/Assembly

# 1   2010-05-12 17:19:07 Primer2 developing on Linux, alternative Firmware/Assembly

Kybertech

Primer2 developing on Linux, alternative Firmware/Assembly

Hello,

I just got my Primer2 and I don't have windows, is there any way to use OpenOCD and Eclipse? I read about a Kit for the Primer1 is there any chance to get it to work with Primer2?
Well I could install Windows on a VM but I wonder if there is a better option.

As I understand the Primer1 Option uses the other USB Port.
If not may it be possible to Program it via the extention Port and a Parallel Cable or something? I have not found anything about the Pins on it.

I am also interested what have been done in terms of alternative OS for the Primer2 like eCos or the even the QP State Machine Framework. But I guess if starting from scratch the peripheral drivers would have to be written, so doing everything in assembly would be an option.
Also I would like to learn the ARM UAL assembly language, it should be possible to embed assembly inside C, but I guess the ARM Toolchain only supports the GNU Assembler.
I have waited with setting up the Developing Enviroment till I got the Primer2 so I can try It on the way. The problem is that there are very few free ARM Assemblers in respect to the Cortex-M3, any tips? I thougt about porting a Regular ARM Assembler for the UAL Memonics but I can't find the Machinecode correspondences anywere.

If that is not possible, CircleOS has way too much functionality for my use so I guess stripping it down could be also an option. Any luck with that?

Last edited by Kybertech (2010-05-12 17:21:23)

# 2   2010-05-20 00:31:35 Primer2 developing on Linux, alternative Firmware/Assembly

ShadowPhoenix

Re: Primer2 developing on Linux, alternative Firmware/Assembly

The information I have is bout half a year old.
You can install stuff on Primer1 with linux and OCD, but Primer2 is no dice yet. However, do research adn you will find more information... I gave up when I realized 64bit not supported (at least at the time).

As for alternative OS, FreeRTOS does a wonderful job. A great job. It's easy, fast, even got a malloc.

As for assemblers, you have the option of gas. Just use that. And remember, we only got Thumb2

# 3   2010-05-20 15:22:37 Primer2 developing on Linux, alternative Firmware/Assembly

Kybertech

Well thank you, I looked into the OpenOCD list, it seems SWD support is regulary requested but not yet implemented. The difficulty seems the API which is very jtag centric.
For now I'll use a VM windows installation, that should work..

As for FreeRTOS, well developing something in Assembly seems a bit pointless here, have to think about that. Its written in C after all.
Its compact enough, so doing an app with it and the peripheral header files would suffice I guess.

# 4   2010-05-21 18:40:36 Primer2 developing on Linux, alternative Firmware/Assembly

ShadowPhoenix

Kybertech :

Well thank you, I looked into the OpenOCD list, it seems SWD support is regulary requested but not yet implemented. The difficulty seems the API which is very jtag centric.
For now I'll use a VM windows installation, that should work..

As for FreeRTOS, well developing something in Assembly seems a bit pointless here, have to think about that. Its written in C after all.
Its compact enough, so doing an app with it and the peripheral header files would suffice I guess.

SWD requests are not that popular by looking at the mailing lists. It looks like it comes up every once in a while, but it seems a lot of changes needs to be done to OpenOCD to reflect that, as you noticed.

As for ASM vs C, just do it in C wink

• Index
  •  » STM32 primer
  •  » Primer2 developing on Linux, alternative Firmware/Assembly

Board footer