/var/www/restricted/ssh/stm32/www/stm32circle/ STM CircleOS forum / Primer2 won't start

Username:     
Password:     

Forum

# 1   2010-05-10 20:33:46 Primer2 won't start

rfarrow2010

Primer2 won't start

My Primer2 has a strange problem.  It will light up the LCD screen when I press the joystick button but will not display anything. It does not respond to touch or tilt.
I can reset the factory settings and it will start up and function corrrectly until I turn if off the first time. If I press the joystick button agan it will light up and stop. If I remove power and reapply the unit comes to life.
It will accept programming from Ride7 but will not respond to debugging.
I can program the unit but I have to remove power and reapply before I can run the code.

# 2   2010-05-11 07:05:38 Primer2 won't start

yrt
Administrator
Website

Re: Primer2 won't start

Is the behavior identical when battery powered, and when USB powered ?
Could you notice the serial number with this procedure ?
http://www.stm32circle.com/forum/viewto … 2400#p2400

# 3   2010-05-11 12:06:49 Primer2 won't start

rfarrow2010

It is the same on USB power or battery. In either case if I press the joystick button the unit slowly lights up the LCD backlight. If I then quickly remove and reapply power the unit starts as normal.  While in the stalled condition the unit will not power down from the button.  Serial number dngWNY200007168.

# 4   2010-05-12 06:17:06 Primer2 won't start

yrt
Administrator
Website

Why do you mean by "will not respond to debugging" ?
Does the Primer run correctly when powered by the USB debug port ?
Is your problem existing since the beginning ?

# 5   2010-05-12 06:50:18 Primer2 won't start

ntrf.zns

What about audio? Maybe this problem is related to LCD interface. Can you hear "Welcome..." message on "failed" start?

# 6   2010-05-12 07:54:26 Primer2 won't start

rfarrow2010

There is no audio. The Primer2 does not respond correctly when powered by USB.  It is impossible to debug any code. After a download you must press the joystick button and select the appilcation to begin the process. The unit will at that point just slowly light up and stop. Why does it work if I remove power and reapply?  I have a Primer1 that works and this Primer2 worked when I first tested it.

# 7   2010-05-12 08:17:16 Primer2 won't start

ntrf.zns

I'm asking all this just to be sure you understand all the process. I hope you won't get mad because i'm doing it.

1) You did press "Run" button in Ride IDE (Green Arrow) after device is fully programed when starting debug session, didn't you?
2) You have to select application from the list anyway, there is no way around it with CircleOS. You need use breakpoints at Application_Init to "catch" your program.
3) How exactly LBFD backlight responding? Slowly changing brightness or slowly flickering? Slowly changing brightness is not expected program behaviour. The only reason for this is hardware failure.

! Next one is important !
4) Start the debug process and press Pause (yellow button near the green arrow) several seconds after unit freezes. The correct code location (indicated by blue arrow) would be "WFI" instrunction in disassembly window or asm("wfi") in code window. If it's not try to repeat Start and Pause comands several times. If you're still hiting som other code - that's the point where your unit jams. Press "Step Over" (F8 on keyboard) several time until source will get in sync with assembly (blue arrow will appear in source window). Then post code location here [ File, Line number and Line of source code itself ], so we can find out a solution for you.

# 8   2010-05-12 12:22:33 Primer2 won't start

rfarrow2010

None of this makes any sense. I have used this unit and the Primer1 unit I have for months. I understand the process of loading from the IDE and running the debugger. You forget that this problem will occur WITHOUT the Primer2 connected to the Ride IDE.

Even with factory default settings the unit will respond to the joystick button by slowly lighting up the LCD. No flickering, no sound, no menu and no other response. It won't even turn off. If  powered by battery only removing the power and quickly reapplying it will bring the unit to life. If powered by USB only the same will happen if you remove the USB connect and reconnect.
This is a hardware issue. I learned this morning I could make the unit work properly by cooling it down. Do you know if the schematic for this unit is correct? The section showing the PBUTTON and SHUTDOWN doesn't look right.

# 9   2010-05-12 12:53:38 Primer2 won't start

ntrf.zns

Schematic may be not appliable to your unit. See revision version on schematic & PCB of the device.

Try measuring temperature at regulator U17 near the extension connector (if you have an apropriate instrument). Or try measuring voltage on the battery (3.7-4.2V), VCC on extension connector (2.8V) and regulator U17 output (3.3V). Be carefull not to short anything. Regulators U9 and U17 are temperature sensitive - they won't run correctly if overheated.

Schematic is correct.

Read the FAQ about the regulators U9 and U17.

Last edited by ntrf.zns (2010-05-12 12:56:47)

# 10   2010-05-12 13:50:34 Primer2 won't start

rfarrow2010

Voltages seem normal. Battery 4.13 VCC at extension 2.86.  With the device cooled slightly the normal display will come up when I enter RUN in debugging mode, however, even the clock is not running. If I remove the USB cable and remove power and reapply I can shut the unit down. Then it will powerup as normal and run the application. Once it warms to room temp the display is blank on power up.

It acts as if the processor does not get a clean reset from the joystick button. It does get a clean reset when power is removed and reapplied.

Last edited by rfarrow2010 (2010-05-12 16:01:54)

Board footer