/var/www/restricted/ssh/stm32/www/stm32circle/ STM CircleOS forum / Build Failed with no warning or error messages

Username:     
Password:     

Forum

# 1   2007-09-24 00:59:13 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

tkelvas

Build Failed with no warning or error messages

Hi,

I just received my  STM32 primer and I'm going through the users manual.  In paragraph 3.4.  step 2  of "Modify a STM32 example"   when I "start debugger"  I get  "Build Failed" message in the Buld Log Window with no warnings or errors messages.  Anyone have any suggestions ?

# 2   2007-09-24 07:22:38 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

lionel
Website

Re: Build Failed with no warning or error messages

Hello,

can you write down all the messages and command-lines written in the Build Log window ?

regards,
Lionel

# 3   2007-09-24 14:35:54 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

tkelvas

Lionel,
Here is my Build Log Window output:

Code:

----------------Make Started: 'toggle_with_CircleOS' in configuration 'Circle_Debug'-------------------------- 

Building C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Examples\ARM\Primer\STM32\toggle_with_CircleOS\src\toggle_with_CircleOS.c 
 Running : GCC 
 \arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe -MD -D_STM32F103RBT6_CircleOS_ -D_STM3x_ -D_STM32x_ -mthumb   -mcpu=cortex-m3 "C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Examples\ARM\Primer\STM32\toggle_with_CircleOS\src\toggle_with_CircleOS.c" -o "C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Examples\ARM\Primer\STM32\toggle_with_CircleOS\objdebug\toggle_with_CircleOS.o" -I "." -I "C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Lib\ARM\include" -I "./src" -c     -fsigned-char  -g          -ffunction-sections        -mlittle-endian 
 \C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Bin\rexrdr.exe "C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Examples\ARM\Primer\STM32\toggle_with_CircleOS\objdebug\toggle_with_CircleOS.lst" 0 arm-none-eabi-objdump.exe --disassemble -all --source "C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Examples\ARM\Primer\STM32\toggle_with_CircleOS\objdebug\toggle_with_CircleOS.o" 

Build failed

# 4   2007-09-25 07:33:13 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

lionel
Website

can you please open a command prompt, copy/paste in it the following line :

Code:

rexrdr.exe stdout.log stderr.log arm-none-eabi-objdump.exe --disassemble -all --source "C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Examples\ARM\Primer\STM32\toggle_with_CircleOS\objdebug\toggle_with_CircleOS.o"

and send me by email (support _at_ raisonance.com) the files stdout.log and stderr.log generated in the directory where you executed this line? (most probably C:\Documents and Settings\<Username>)

thanks and regards,
Lionel

# 5   2008-01-14 17:07:59 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

snickels

I also have this same problem.  I installed the version of the tools that is available on this site: Circle_STM32-Primer_Kit_V1[1].3-2007-11-09.zip.  The error message I get is:

----------------Make Started: 'toggle_with_CircleOS' in configuration 'Circle_Debug'--------------------------

Building C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Examples\ARM\Primer\STM32\toggle_with_CircleOS\src\toggle_with_CircleOS.c

Build failed

I took a look at the project directory to make sure the files are there, yep they are.  I did the command that "lionel" provided; stdout.log is empty; sterr.log contains the following:

arm-none-eabi-objdump.exe: 'C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Examples\ARM\Primer\STM32\toggle_with_CircleOS\objdebug\toggle_with_CircleOS.o': No such file

I looked for the .o file and it was not generated.  None of the directories are marked read-only.  I also tried quitting Ride7 and copying the example project to c:\atemp\toggle_with_CircleOS to shorten the pathname, but still the same results.

I tried uninstalling Ride7 and reinstalling it in c:\Tools\Raisonance\Ride7 so that the tool path would not have a [space] ("Program[space]Files"), but I got the same failure.

I uninstalled Ride7 again and this time I installed the version that came on the mini-CD (version listed in Help-About is Ride7 IDE 7.01.0002, RKitARM for RIDE7 1.03.003), but I still get the same failure.

Perhaps the Ride7 tool is assuming that everyone has a certain OS file on their computer.  The error message gives no clue.  I'm running WindowsXP on a 2.8GHz Pentium4 with 1G RAM.

# 6   2008-01-15 19:04:41 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

snickels

Update from my last post.  I installed the 2007-11-09 CD image on my computer at home (Dual-Core, Vista), and the build succeeds.  So there is something about my computer at work (WindowsXP Professional) that Ride7 doesn't like.

# 7   2008-01-17 08:05:00 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

ThomasScherrer
Website

you are right, the error repportings are gone or not really helpfull in many cases
this is soo typical for many compilers :-)

Thomas Scherrer Denmark webx.dk

# 8   2008-10-14 20:29:44 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

kaml

Hi,

I have similary problem like $1.

Code:

Build failed

File stdout.log is empty.
File sterr.log contains the following:

Code:

arm-none-eabi-objdump.exe: 'C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Examples\ARM\Primer\STM32\toggle_with_CircleOS\objdebug\toggle_with_CircleOS.o': No such file

Do You have any sugestions how to resolve this problem?

kaml

# 9   2008-10-15 14:03:20 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

matloub

Hi Kaml

I would like first to clarify something about this post:

The issue posted by tkelvas does not seem tobe the same as the one posted by snickels and you.
The command line that lionel suggested to use was useful in the case of tkelvas.
If you have look at hi post you can see that after the make started message there are command lines that are executed.
Therefore it was possible to run these command lines outside of the compiler and to see their error message.

In the cas of snickels and kaml it the build failed before the command lines are executed by Ride7.
Therefore when you execute the objdump.exe without have run the compileler and the linker before it is not normal to get a message telling that the .o file was not found.

I would need to know:
+ What are your Ride7 RKit-ARM and cisrcleOS versions
+ Can you post your log window output after you made a build  (there should be a "running gcc"followed by command lines  and after a "running ld" .....)
+ Can you try to build another project like the "toggle" (without circleOs) and let us know the result

Matloub

# 10   2008-10-15 15:55:09 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

kaml

Hi Matloub

I installed the Ride7 (7.02.0001) and RKitARM (1.04.0001) from the newest CD image: Circle_STM32-Primer_Kit_V1.4-2008-04-01
Log window from building "toggle" (without circleOS):

Code:

----------------Make Started: 'toggle' in configuration ''-------------------------- 

Building C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Examples\ARM\Primer\STM32\toggle\main.c 

Build failed

There is nothing else (missing "running gcc"...).
I notice that in application project, there are missing settings as "advenced arm options", "Gcc compiler".
It looks like Ride7 don't detect RKitARM package(not executing gcc, missing settings).
I use Windows XP SP1.

kaml

# 11   2008-10-22 07:39:11 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

matloub

Hi Kaml

Sorry for the delay I had not seen your post before.
You can send answer to the following questions to support@raisonance.com

Indeed it seems to be more an installation issue more than a tool problem.
You can verify your installation this way:

+ Under Ride7 make "Help->About" and send me a screen shot
+ Go to your corresponding c:\program files\raisonance\ride and check if there is
   - config\arm folder (and not empty)
   - scripts folder with 3 .js files
+ Can you let me know if you installed Ride7 under default indtallation directory or you modified it?

Matloub

# 12   2008-12-01 20:30:17 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

KDC

Hello,

I had the same problem as tkelvas, after some digging I found the reason:
The PATH environment variable was too long, it is cut by command.exe: there was no path to "...arm-gcc\bin"! So by removing some (older) paths in the variable the problem was solved.

Koen

# 13   2009-08-17 10:27:17 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

krheinwald

Same problem here. After I had the same problem ('Build Failed' with no other messages for the toggle demo project) with the tools from the CD,
I loaded and installed the latest version of Ride 7.22.09.0203 and ARM tools 1.20.09.0154 from the website. OS is XP SP3 32bit with the latest updates.

Path was shortened and Ride entries were moved to front, missing C:\Programme\Raisonance\Ride\arm-gcc\bin was added:

C:\Programme\Raisonance\Ride\bin;C:\Programme\Raisonance\Ride\arm-gcc\bin;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;...

Still the same problem: 'Build Failed' with no other messages

I also noticed that when I created a new project 'Launch RBuilder to create source files' is disabled and no source stubs are generated.

Any help would be appreciated!

Klaus

Edit:
   - config\arm folder (and not empty) - Checked
   - scripts folder with 3 .js files - Checked
   - Ride7 was installed under default installation directory

Last edited by krheinwald (2009-08-17 10:31:56)

# 14   2009-08-17 13:22:48 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

Francis
Administrator

This message would mean that the executable is not found (path, etc,...), but it seems that you already checked everything.
It could be that you installed under a different user's account. But I suggest you double check the PATH settings.

# 15   2009-08-17 14:27:45 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

matloub

Hi

RBuilder is not available for ARM targets for now this the reason why it is greyed.
Can you confirm you have no error message when you open Ride7 and when you create a new project?

Ride7 is using heavily the scripting functionalities, but it seems
that there is something on your computer avoiding this.
There should be a security context that does not allow you
using the scripting objects.
Is there an antivirus ,a firewall, or any other program that could
explain that?
You can also check in IE to make sure that Active Scripting is enabled(Security tab/Custom Level).

Matloub

# 16   2009-08-18 13:22:10 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

krheinwald

Thanks for your quick help!

@Francis: Path is as listed above: C:\Programme\Raisonance\Ride\bin;C:\Programme\Raisonance\Ride\arm-gcc\bin;...

Am I missing a directory? I had to add \arm-gcc\bin manually!?!

@Matloub: Active Scripting was enabled, I enabled some other Active* settings as well without any change. Software running is Avira Antivirus
and Outpost Firewall. I could find no settings for blocking Active Scripting. I might test again without network connection and those two
programs disabled. Would there be an easy test to verify Active Scripting works as expected?

I see no error messages when launching Ride and creating a new project although I would expect a stub source file being created with a new project,
if I understand the documentation on creating your first test project right. This does not happen, no source file is created! Is there a log file I should check?

Thanks again,
Klaus

# 17   2009-08-21 13:52:49 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

krheinwald

Ok, I tried again from scratch: Uninstalled and reinstalled the latest Ride7 and RKit-ARM available from the web site. Disabled/terminated anitvirus and firewall.

Started Ride, created new project, No error messages, but contrary to the User Manual ยง5.1, the newly created project did not include the 'Application.c' file!?!

No error messages were shown.

Opened an example project (Simplest-USB-Example-1.0.zip) from the web site. 'Build' resulted again in 'Build failed' without further messages.

All this was done as a user with admin rights on XP 32-bit and Active Scripting enabled in the Internet settings.

Any error logs I can check?

Klaus

# 18   2009-08-24 12:41:27 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

krheinwald

Ok, I solved the problem y moving to a fresh Vista installation after installing on Windows 7 RC gave me the access error popups mentioned somewhere else.

Not really satisfying as this is not my primary development machine, but at least it's working now.

Last edited by krheinwald (2009-08-24 12:42:18)

# 19   2009-08-25 06:18:49 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

Francis
Administrator

It is quite strange... it could be your anti-virus, a firewall, ... anything else that was blocking the execution of some scripts from RIDE. Anyway we will try to improve the contents of the error messages.

# 20   2009-08-28 09:11:08 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

pascalfromst

Hello, I thnik I have the same problem as mensionned on this issue (with error meesage this time) :
due to my main PC scratch , I use another one and after installing RIDE7, I cant' Build any project (successfully build on previous computer).

This is the Build log :

----------------Build Started: 'Application0' in configuration 'Circle_Debug'--------------------------

Building C:\Data Pascal\Application STM32\z\Application.c
Running: GCC
\"C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\arm-gcc\bin\arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe" -MD -D_STM32F103VET6_ -D_STM3x_ -D_STM32x_ -mthumb   -mcpu=cortex-m3 "C:\Data Pascal\Application STM32\z\Application.c" -o "C:\Data Pascal\Application STM32\z\objdebug\Application.o" -I "." -I "C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Lib\ARM\include" -c     -fsigned-char  -g          -ffunction-sections         -mlittle-endian
arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe: CreateProcess: No such file or directory 

Build failed

any idea to solve this issue ?
Thanks for your help

# 21   2009-08-30 04:50:39 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

ShadowPhoenix

Quote:

"An FYI: I hit this problem on Windows XP and after a great deal of looking, I discovered that the GCC_EXEC_PREFIX environment variable was being set in the autoexec.bat file. This was likely a leftover from a GNU install (and uninstall) done 3-4 years ago. After I cleared this bogus environment variable setting, avr-gcc.exe worked fine both from the AVR Studio and the command line.

RWSenser
"
Can you check if your GCC_EXEC_PREFIX environment variable is set?

# 22   2009-08-31 08:31:49 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

Bruno
Software Engineer
Website

Hi all,

Here is a little JScript piece of code that will help check if you have any rights missing for scripts:

Code:

WScript.Echo("Starting test:");
var objFSO = WScript.CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject");
WScript.Echo("2nd test:");
var objFolder = objFSO.GetFolder("C:\\");
WScript.Echo(objFolder.Path);

Can you please:
- Save this code to a "test.js" file in your C:\ directory
- Open a DOS box (Start > Execute then type "cmd.exe" as the command to be run)
- "cd C:\" to change to your root directory
- "cscript test.js" to launch the test file.

If the script does not emit any errors, then your FSO object is properly scriptable.

If you have a scripting problem, the cause could be that you installed Raisonance tools on your machine $1 administrative rights (in the past). If you did so, uninstalling/reinstalling will not be enough, as Windows "remembers" the rights on the given folder and the problem will remain. $1.
In such as case the action to perform would be to uninstall all Raisonance tools, then Delete the "C:\Program Files\Raisonance" (or whatever) directory, reboot and reinstall. This is because you may have a user problem (non-administrative rights over dome files or something of this order).

Regards,
Bruno

-- Bruno Richard, Ph.D.

# 23   2009-10-26 11:20:57 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

pascalfromst

Thanks all for your Help.
I solve the problem of Build / Debug on the second computer :
      the GCC_EXEC_PREFIX was set with Variable datas for another software.
I clearded the Environment Variable GCC_EXEC_PREFIX and this work.

To Raisonance people : I'm not an expert on Windows Environnement Variable, but I assume that I will need to refill the Environnemt Variable GCC_EXEC_PREFIX  with previous value to use the other software.
Perhaps it could be better, for a further RIDE7 install version, to set GCC_EXEC_PREFIX with RIDE7 value too.

Thanks a lot.

# 24   2010-08-10 07:36:52 Build Failed with no warning or error messages

Juozas_K

Hi,
Today my Ride7 environment says:
"arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe: CreateProcess: No such file or directory".

My solution was to check Kaspersky Antivirus quarantine. There I have found:
C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\arm-gcc\bin\ARM-NONE-EABI-GCC.EXE
C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\bin\REXRDR.EXE

After Restore action my build action start to be good as during previous year before.
But soon my antivirus send to quarantine:
C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\bin\RIDE7.EXE - my Ride stops to work absolutely.

I will add Ride programs to Trusted zone, I hope this will help, currently I have no rights to manage Trusted zone, but fortunately, I have rights to uninstall this antivirus.

Best regards smile
Juozas Kimtys

Board footer