/var/www/restricted/ssh/stm32/www/stm32circle/ STM CircleOS forum / Problem debugging the Circle OS 1.7 project on Ride 7

Username:     
Password:     

Forum
  • Index
  •  » circleOS
  •  » Problem debugging the Circle OS 1.7 project on Ride 7

# 1   2007-12-06 21:31:56 Problem debugging the Circle OS 1.7 project on Ride 7

Kremer

Problem debugging the Circle OS 1.7 project on Ride 7

Hi All

This is a newbie problem i think. Anyway, i have a brand new Primer and i could succesfully play with it, load applications in this site and do a simple debug session with the Toggle project without the Circla OS. Also, i upgraded to Circle OS 1.7, and now i'm trying to do a debug session with that project, but i can't do even a single step. The code window shows only the assembly lines, and any button i hit starts the firmware without giving any opportunity to understand what is happening. Also, hitting any button on code window to try to see some C source line cause the software lockup. I've read Ride7 debug is 32K limited but Circle OS1.7 project is 24K code size, so i presume i should be able to do a fair debug on it. My intentions are to understand how the firmware uses the LCD, draw images and stuff, and how it also deals with mems and stuff. Someone could help me with that?

# 2   2007-12-07 07:16:57 Problem debugging the Circle OS 1.7 project on Ride 7

lionel
Website

Re: Problem debugging the Circle OS 1.7 project on Ride 7

Hello,

I think your problem comes from the fact that the CircleOS is pre-compiled without debug info. When you start a debug session with an application using CircleOS, the Program Counter will halt at the beginning of the main function, which is located in CircleOS and therefore only assembly code is visible here. From now, you have 2 solutions :

$1
Before starting debug, place a breakpoint at the beginning of your app initialization routine and when you start the processor, you will stop in your own routines.

$1
In that case, open the CircleOS project Circle.rprj, right-click on the Circle node, select properties, then set GCC debug information. Rebuild the whole project, quit Ride7, Copy the circle.elf and circle.hex files generated in place of the previous ones in [...]\Raisonance\Ride\Lib\Arm\CircleOS\.
When you start debug, you will see debug info for CircleOS as well !

I hope that helps.

regards,
Lionel

# 3   2007-12-07 15:18:23 Problem debugging the Circle OS 1.7 project on Ride 7

Kremer

Re: Problem debugging the Circle OS 1.7 project on Ride 7

Hi Lionel

Thank you for your answer. I´m intended to debug only the Circle OS1.7 project withouth any application loaded, just to understand the basic steps to bring the cpu on, display init, mems init and so forth.
I knew it was something related to projects setup on the IDE. I´m new to Ride7 IDE and GCC toolchain, so really thank you for your explanation. I´ll try that!!!

Kremer

• Index
  •  » circleOS
  •  » Problem debugging the Circle OS 1.7 project on Ride 7

Board footer