/var/www/restricted/ssh/stm32/www/stm32circle/ STM CircleOS forum / Using database on Primer or Primer2

Username:     
Password:     

Forum

# 1   2009-02-13 23:17:42 Using database on Primer or Primer2

kubark42

Using database on Primer or Primer2

I'm looking to change platforms after playing around with the AVRs for a while. I've got a new application that takes significantly more power and RAM than the little 8-bit uC can handle.

I'm curious if there's any way for me to access a database with a Primer. I have no problem accessing the file itself (I've already written some FAT code for the AVR), but actually performing the queries leaves me a bit in the dark.

I understand that there are micro versions of PostgreSQL that can run on ARM-Linux. Is there any kind of support for that on CircleOS? Or can you directly program Linux onto the Primer?

Thanks,
Kenn Sebesta

# 2   2009-02-14 09:27:09 Using database on Primer or Primer2

zwieblum

Re: Using database on Primer or Primer2

No, you can't run Linux on a Primer. But you can develop & flash Primer 1 using Linux. For Primer 2 you'll have to do some rewiring ...

# 3   2009-02-14 09:32:46 Using database on Primer or Primer2

kubark42

Okay, so I can't run Linux. Since I'm new to Arm, could you humor me and tell me why not? Is the M3-Cortex incapable of running Linux properly, or is there too little memory, etc...?

Any idea about a database?

# 4   2009-02-14 09:51:39 Using database on Primer or Primer2

sjoerd

I'm not sure about the absolute minimum requirements for uClinux but I guess 64kb is way too tight to get it in and also keep some ram/flash space for additional applications.

http://www.uclinux.org

There are some lightweight SQL implementations for embedded platforms. For example SQLite but I guess they're all way to heavy for the primer platforms.

# 5   2009-02-14 11:44:44 Using database on Primer or Primer2

zwieblum

What database do you need? Is a Textfile enough?

If you need ARM and Linux you can get a NSLU2 from Linksys. There you can put Linux and a sufficient filesystem on the onboard flash module. But you'll most certainly need to rewire parts of the device if you need GPIO.

Last edited by zwieblum (2009-02-14 11:46:58)

# 6   2009-02-14 17:41:28 Using database on Primer or Primer2

kubark42

zwieblum :

What database do you need? Is a Textfile enough?

If you need ARM and Linux you can get a NSLU2 from Linksys. There you can put Linux and a sufficient filesystem on the onboard flash module. But you'll most certainly need to rewire parts of the device if you need GPIO.

Oh, I don't need ARM *or* Linux. I just want an upgrade to something more powerful than the AVR. And I definitely need DIO, AI (and O if I can get it), I2C, SPI, and all that fun stuff.

As for the database, it's a large 20GB database. I don't think a textfile is gonna cut it. <grin>

@sjoerd: Thanks for the uclinux link. I'll take a look at them. But if I can't install Linux onto the chip (is this somehow prevented? Forbidden behavior? I don't like development kits that forbid me making whatever I like. <scowl>. Kind of defeats the purpose if you ask me.), I guess I won't be able to use it with the Primer no matter what.

Kenn

Board footer