/var/www/restricted/ssh/stm32/www/stm32circle/ STM CircleOS forum / Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

Username:     
Password:     

Forum
  • Index
  •  » STM32 primer
  •  » Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

# 1   2009-03-01 15:43:44 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

Gidimiz

Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

Hi.

I have the Primer2 and when I press the debug, all is OK, but towards the end I get the following error:
Execution out of debugging limitation: PC=0xFFFFFFFE
Terminating debug session.

I read in the forum what other people have encountered, and nothing had worked.
I can add few more things:
1. I tried the STM32_Primer2_CircleOS project with out any changes.
2. The software was programed as I couldn't run the original software that came with it.
3. I did manage to load the "Restore_Primer2_Circle_Factory.bat" back again. There where no errors on the screen. The Primer2 worked just find after the software update.

Please advise.http://www.ptp-images.com/mini/mmmp0111f.jpg

# 2   2009-03-02 06:46:35 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

Francis
Administrator

Re: Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

Because of the 32KB limitation, you can debug only your application in the first 32KB and the API routines called by your application. You cannot debug the whole CircleOS project itself (because the initialization routines are in the upper memory).

# 3   2009-03-02 11:44:52 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

Gidimiz

Francis :

Because of the 32KB limitation, you can debug only your application in the first 32KB and the API routines called by your application. You cannot debug the whole CircleOS project itself (because the initialization routines are in the upper memory).

Hi Francis.

Please advise how do I set the debug to only my App. and not the complete demo. I used the pdf from the CD to start the demo, and that was the error that I got. How do I change the settings?

Regards.

Last edited by Gidimiz (2009-03-02 11:45:14)

# 4   2009-03-02 13:19:10 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

First I'd like to check that there is no software or hardware problem.

Please try to debug this example, that does not use CircleOS and takes less than 32K:
<Ride>\Examples\ARM\Primer\STM32Primer2\toggle\...

If that works, then your problem is indeed related to the 32K debug limitation.
Please then try this second example, which uses CircleOS and shows how to debug CircleOS applications:
<Ride>\Examples\ARM\Primer\STM32Primer2\toggle_with_CircleOS\...

Please let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 5   2009-03-02 19:11:30 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

Gidimiz

VincentC :

Hi,

First I'd like to check that there is no software or hardware problem.

Please try to debug this example, that does not use CircleOS and takes less than 32K:

Please let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,

Vincent

Hi Vincent.

I just got as far as the:
Still getting the same error.
Using: Ride IDE 7.16.0000
Rkit-ARM for Ride7 1.16.0930

Build log:
----------------Make Started: 'toggle' in configuration ''--------------------------   
Build succeeded

No errors in debug output window.
USB is connected fine, and there are no eerors in the USB driver.
I have opend Advanced Options and used the "write target FLASH now!" and this works fine. I can see the top LEDS flashing in a binary counting.
I can also read the Rlink serial number.

Any idea whats the problem?

Thanks.

# 6   2009-03-03 11:04:26 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

Well, I can say that the problem is probably not related to the debug limitation. The PC gets corrupted first, and then the software complains that it is outside the debug limit. With a RLink-pro, you would have another error message, but still it would not work.

Now, I don't know why the PC gets corrupted. I can't imagine how it can manage to program and execute but not debug, because for programming we use the debug features...

When you restore the factory application in the flash, do you manage to execute applications for a quite long time? Try to play maze or breakout for a few minutes... Maybe it's a problem that appears some time after reset.

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 7   2009-03-03 11:50:14 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

Gidimiz

Hi Vincent.

I managed to put my hands on the Primer1 ( circule ). I have loaded the toggle for the circule and I didnt get any errors. I also managed to do step by step, run, stop and it was working just fine. So they problem again, is only with the Primer2.
I dont have another Primer2 to test, but maybe you will haev an idea where the cause of this problem.
There is no problem playing with the games in the Primer2.

Please advise.

# 8   2009-03-03 21:29:57 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

Francis
Administrator

Sorry for the late answer, but we'll check tomorrow.. Some of us are in Nuremberg for the Embedded World exhibition, and it's more difficult to answer.

# 9   2009-03-06 21:24:55 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

Gidimiz

Francis :

Sorry for the late answer, but we'll check tomorrow.. Some of us are in Nuremberg for the Embedded World exhibition, and it's more difficult to answer.

Hi.

Reminder on the question above.

Best regards.

# 10   2009-03-13 21:54:03 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

Gidimiz

Hi VincentC.

I have a lead to the problem. I'm using my work computer and I have some restrictions in installing software. I don't have admin rights, but I do have Power Users rights.
I do have Admin writes on the local computer to install software.
So, I used the local admin user to install the software, and I use my network rights to run it. In this case the software is not running.
I logged on as a local Admin, and I ran the software. No problem what so ever! I can debug etc. Everything works.
I logged back in using my network name and ran the software, same problem again. I tried running the software in the mode of "Run As" I got the bellow screen error and the Ride 7 crashed.
I also tried to reinstall the software using my login rights, so it would over right the software and any registry properties. Didn't work.

Any idea?

http://www.ptp-images.com/mini/rzcwca6af4.jpg

# 11   2009-03-17 14:30:28 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

malerherbert

i do have the same problem with the primer2 and not having adminrights.
the first problem was, that i could not compile and link because i get a "build faild".
after alowing to write in installationdirectory (C:\Programme\Raisonance\Ride\Lib\ARM\) to following files:
STM32F103_32K_32K_DEF.ld
STM32F103_32K_32K_FLASH.ld

i got: build succeeded

but when i click on start, i get the same error as Gidimiz

the first thing i want to know is: why does ride7 want to write in the installation directory? not every developer has admin rights...

working on a computer without admin-rights i get, after i click on start, the following error:
working on a pc as administrator all works without problems

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z241/malerherbert/ride7toggle1.jpg

after i cklick on ok, i get this erros:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z241/malerherbert/opidrivertoggle2.jpg

Last edited by malerherbert (2009-03-17 14:35:12)

# 12   2009-03-17 15:28:10 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

Thanks to both of you for these tests. I really wouldn't have thought this error message could come from a non-admin problem. 8)

At different stages of its operation (compile, link, program, debug, etc.), Ride needs to create and/or modify files in most of its directories (bin, lib, config, etc.), and of course in the directory that contains the project (examples...).
We are progressively changing this, but I cannot tell when that will be completely done. Not for the next release, that's for sure.

In the meantime, you should be able to work by granting all access to all users on the Ride installation directory and all its sub-directories and files. I don't see any other option, except working in admin. wink Sorry for the inconvenience.

Please tell me if that solves the problem. I'd like to be sure that there is no other issue.

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 13   2009-03-17 17:19:50 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

malerherbert

giving ride7 full access to the install dir is no solution - i've tried, but no success.
i think the problem ist the driver which only could be initialized when ride7 is executed with admin-rights.

by the way: is it possible to install the driver for primer2 under windows xp x64?
i've tried to install this one: C:\Program Files (x86)\Raisonance\Ride\Driver\RLinkDrv\MS_WinUSB_XP_Vista

but in windows device manager i get the following: Raisonance RLINKUSB Dongle with a yellow exclamassion point and the message, that the driver could not be installed (code 28)

during installation i get the following message: during installation a failure occoured. service installation section in INF is invalid. (screenshot would make no sence, except you understand german big_smile)

Last edited by malerherbert (2009-03-17 17:23:53)

# 14   2009-03-17 17:52:25 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

Francis
Administrator

XP x64 is NOT supported by the RLink driver. Vista-64 is supported

# 15   2009-03-17 18:13:29 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

sima

I also had this “bug” yesterday.

I had copied a linker script from AN2557 to my project. When I tried to use floating point math I got this bug. (Try use floating point math for this project to se the bug)

But when I selected “Use Default Script File = Yes” the bug was gone.

So I copied the default script files generated by Ride7 to my project folder and modified them to allow for a boot loader. The bug was gone. :-)

# 16   2009-03-17 19:55:36 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

Gidimiz

sima :

I also had this “bug” yesterday.

I had copied a linker script from AN2557 to my project. When I tried to use floating point math I got this bug. (Try use floating point math for this project to se the bug)

But when I selected “Use Default Script File = Yes” the bug was gone.

So I copied the default script files generated by Ride7 to my project folder and modified them to allow for a boot loader. The bug was gone. :-)

Hi.

I tried what you said and few other things that all are related to the  “Use Default Script File = ". Nothing worked.
VincentC - How come I did manage to run the old circle without any problem? I wont be able to get Admin to my user as this will effect all the people
in my company. Is there any other Fix around this?

Best regards.

# 17   2009-03-18 09:27:02 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

I think the problem that Sima experienced came from his first linker script. So it's no surprise that it doesn't change anything for you, Gidimiz, as you are already using the default script. (different problems, same error message... ;( )

malerherbert, as Francis said, RLink does not work in XP64. Supported OSes are XP32, Vista32 and Vista64. (we stopped supporting Win2000 officially, but in fact it works too) However in XP64, you should not be able to connect to RLink at all, and you should receive an other error message. (something like "unable to connect to RLink") Are you using several PCs? (some that are not XP64) Please check if you are able to execute the connection tests (to RLink and to STM32) in the debug options.

Gidimiz, are you saying that on the same PC, with the same version of Ride, you can debug on the Primer1 but not on the Primer2? If yes, please try to debug the toggle (without CircleOS) on the Primer2 and tell me if it works or not. If that doesn't work, tell me the error messages you receive, and then try to program the toggle to the primer without debugging, using RFlasher or Cortex_pgm.exe. And then tell me if it works. (you should see the LEDs blinking) All that will help me understand your problem.

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 18   2009-03-18 10:00:01 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

malerherbert

i tried to debug the "toggle" under win xp32 but it didn't and doesn't work due to missing admin privileges.
running ride 7 as admin it works, but thats no solution. in most companies staff is working in restricted user mode...

so please use the micrsoft guidelines for programming software so that it is also runing without any problems in restricted user mode.
software should not be allowed to write in the installation dir, therfore every user has it's own userspecific folder und c:\documents and settings\user\...
also restricted users are not allowed to write in the registry, except in their own hkey_current_user
the best is, when ride7 only uses the userspecific folder for saveing settings,...

it's no option to work as administrator, not only because it's not allowed, but rather than it's not secure.
until ride7 doesn't work as restriced user i can't use it - too sad for a company like raisonance not getting that handled sadwink

and about drivers and vistaX64 and not XP x64:
i don't know even one company using windows vista. most companies use windows XP

# 19   2009-03-18 11:10:19 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

Gidimiz

Hi Vincent.

This is what I have doe to your request:
1. I didn't understand what you wanted me to do using the Ride7, so I have opened the RFlash.
2. Chosen the STM#@_Primer2_CircuilOS as the Processor.
3. Loaded the following file: c:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Examples\ARM\Primer\STM32Primer2\toggle\toggle.hex
4. I got the following error.
http://www.ptp-images.com/mini/rzwwhec317.jpg
5. I tried to program the HEX file by Clicking GO.
6. Came up with another window asking me if I want to program another one. I click Canceled.
7. I got: 1 devices handled. 1 Successful. 0 Failed.
8. I clicked Reset and Run. I got the window saying the the program is running, but nothing is happening in the Priemer2.
9. I then tried to load the c:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Examples\ARM\Primer\STM32Primer2\toggle\toggle.elf
10. No error message. I click Go!
11. Came up with another window asking me if I want to program another one. I click Canceled.
12. I got: 1 devices handled. 1 Successful. 0 Failed.
13. I clicked Reset and Run. I got the window saying the the program is running, but nothing is happening in the Priemer2.
14. I click on Verify. I got the following error:
http://www.ptp-images.com/mini/rzwws19e51.jpg
15. I click on Blank Check. I got this:
http://www.ptp-images.com/mini/rzwwo754cc.jpg
16. I then tried to do in manually. I click on Erase. I got Erase OK.
17. I click on program, I got: Attempt to program a non-blank Flash. I don't know why if I click on erase before!
18. I also clicked on Connect to RLink. This is the windows I got:
http://www.ptp-images.com/mini/rzwwcec5ab.jpg

Please advise if I need to do anything else.
Best regards.

# 20   2009-03-18 13:27:12 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

malerherbert, as I said previously we are already in the process of removing the write accesses from Ride to its install dir as you suggested, but it will take some time to be complete. (it's not easy to do that while keeping backward compatibility with old projects) For now you just have to give access rights to all users to these directories, and then you will be able to use Ride while logged as User. Of course you don't have to give Admin rights to all user accounts! roll

About XP64, our experience is that most companies work with XP32, not XP64. We had a lot of requests about Vista32 and Vista64 before we supported them, but we only had three requests about XP64, including yours. And the two others completely gave up on XP64 later because of other reasons. (too many incompatible things...) They switched to either XP32 or Vista64.

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 21   2009-03-18 13:56:00 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

Gidimiz, from the first error message (4), it looks like your hex file is not correct. The STM32 has Flash at address 0x08000000 and RAM at address 0x20000000. So if your hex file contains data at address 0, it will probably not do what you expect it to. Also, I checked the toggle example from a clean install of Ride and it does not generate any data at address zero. The next error that you receive (14) is just a consequence of this first error.

Have you modified the example? (linker script options, ...)
Do you have any warnings when building the project?

Could you please zip the project containing the example and send it to me at this email address:
   support@raisonance.com
(include a link to this forum thread in the text of the email as reference.)

The two following errors (15 & 18) are something else. (probably one single problem, but not the same as the one above) Can you please try "Restore_Primer2_Circle_Factory.bat" again? In your first post you said that it works. It could not work if RLink was unable to erase the Flash...

Then, please try to debug the toggle example. I mean open the project in Ride, build it, start a debug session, and see if you can single-step and run the execution. This is an interesting test because this example does not use CircleOS.

Also, please answer the question in my previous post about the Primer1. Are you able to debug on your Primer1? On the same PC/Ride?

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 22   2009-03-18 14:27:18 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

malerherbert

VincentC :

For now you just have to give access rights to all users to these directories, and then you will be able to use Ride while logged as User. Of course you don't have to give Admin rights to all user accounts! :rolleyes:

as i wrote above:

malerherbert :

giving ride7 full access to the install dir is no solution - i've tried, but no success.
i think the problem ist the driver which only could be initialized when ride7 is executed with admin-rights.

i gave full access to the install dir but it does not work.
i can build the project now, but i can't run and transfer it on the primer2.
i get an error from the "OPI driver"

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z241/malerherbert/ride7toggle1.jpg

after i cklick on ok, i get this erros:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z241/malerherbert/opidrivertoggle2.jpg

so giving full access to install dirr is no solution for the problem...

when i run ride7 with admin rights, all works without problems, $1

Last edited by malerherbert (2009-03-18 14:28:30)

# 23   2009-03-18 15:01:11 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

Sorry, malerherbert, I missed your line about it not working after changing the directories access rights.

For now I don't see what the problem could be. On my PCs everything is fine after I give write access to these directories.

I only ever saw USB driver installation problems that could be easily workarounded, but that's not what you experience, or you would receive an other error message. Still, can you please check that you are able to read the RLink Serial Number when in user? (from RFlasher or from the advanced debug options in Ride)

You could be experiencing a problem related to the generation of the application, like Gidimiz.
Can you please zip the directory containing the example and send it to 'support@raisonance.com'?

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 24   2009-03-18 15:32:42 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

malerherbert

no, it's not about the project. it's the standard toggle project how it is, after installing ride7

i've checked, that ride7 needs also write access to the registry, but it's not possible for me to grant them

for this week, i'ts not possible for me to check which hkey and subkeys are affected

# 25   2009-03-18 15:51:02 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

As you said in a previous post, Ride should only write the registry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
But in theory that should be the case with the version that you have. I just tested it on my PCs (XP32 and Vista32) with a user that has standard User rights.

Of course it would help if you could tell me precisely which registry it accesses, but I understand if you have other things to do before.

You could still have a problem with the generation of the project: Gidimiz is also using one of the examples from Ride and his hex file is incorrect. Can you just zip it and send it? I would like to check the hex and map files and other things.

Best Regards,

Vincent

• Index
  •  » STM32 primer
  •  » Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

Board footer