/var/www/restricted/ssh/stm32/www/stm32circle/ STM CircleOS forum / Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

Username:     
Password:     

Forum
  • Index
  •  » STM32 primer
  •  » Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

# 26   2009-03-18 21:27:05 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

Gidimiz

Re: Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

VincentC :

Hi,

Gidimiz, from the first error message (4), it looks like your hex file is not correct. The STM32 has Flash at address 0x08000000 and RAM at address 0x20000000. So if your hex file contains data at address 0, it will probably not do what you expect it to. Also, I checked the toggle example from a clean install of Ride and it does not generate any data at address zero. The next error that you receive (14) is just a consequence of this first error.

I used the file from a clean install. If I did something to the project, then the HEX and the ELF files whould have changed and not just the HEX.

VincentC :

Have you modified the example? (linker script options, ...)

NO

VincentC :

Do you have any warnings when building the project?

NO

VincentC :

Could you please zip the project containing the example and send it to me at this email address:
   support@raisonance.com
(include a link to this forum thread in the text of the email as reference.)

Done.

VincentC :

The two following errors (15 & 18) are something else. (probably one single problem, but not the same as the one above) Can you please try "Restore_Primer2_Circle_Factory.bat" again? In your first post you said that it works. It could not work if RLink was unable to erase the Flash...

It works just fine. I have used both files:
A. Restore_Primer2_Circle_Factory.bat
B. Update_Primer2_Circle_OS.bat
I didnt get any errors, and the Primer2 worked just fine after the 2 restores.

VincentC :

Then, please try to debug the toggle example. I mean open the project in Ride, build it, start a debug session, and see if you can single-step and run the execution. This is an interesting test because this example does not use CircleOS.

I cannot do that with the Primer2. I get the error message " Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error"

VincentC :

Also, please answer the question in my previous post about the Primer1. Are you able to debug on your Primer1? On the same PC/Ride?

Best Regards,

Vincent

With the Primer1 im not getting any erros. I open the toggle project for the Primer1, I click on the debug and no errors. I can do step by step, run, brake the works. Im using the same PC, the same user name, nothing is changing.

# 27   2009-03-19 13:14:28 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

I received your files, and there is indeed a problem in your project. Both the hex and elf files are wrong because they contain data at zero, which explains the debug problem and some of the programming problems.

The output files are wrong because of a problem in the linker script. And I suspect that this problem is related to the user access rights, because I just had to Build (not Make) your project and it was correct again...

You can see in toggle.elf.ld that your project is linked using STM32Primer2.ld, which cannot work as this file is not a complete script, but a sub-script intended to be included in other higher-level scripts. But your project options are set to use the default script, so when I rebuild it, everything is fine.

Please check that you have write access to <Ride>\lib\ARM.
Then, rebuild your project using the 'Build' command, not 'Make'.

Let me explain how this works, so that you can check what is wrong...

At each link, Ride generates a main linker script called '<application>.elf.ld' ('toggle.elf.ld' in your case), in the same directory as the application, containing the input object files, libraries, output file name, and including the 'second linker script'.

The second linker script (which is what is wrong in your project) depends on the project options in the 'LD linker'/'Scripts' section.

If you select 'use default script file', then Ride generates this second script file in <Ride>\lib\ARM, that itself includes other script files that are already present in the same directory. This is what fails when you don't have write access to the Ride directories. (we'll try to change that for the next release, or at least the one after)

If you unselect 'use default script file', then the second script taken is directly the one that you point to in the 'Script File' option.

In your project, the options are set for using the default script, but the toggle.elf.ld points to another file that is not a valid script. (STM32Primer2.ld) This is why re-building (in fact re-linking) should solve it, as toggle.elf.ld will be re-generated. I think you got to this point by changing the script option because of access rights problems, building, then changing the option again but for some reason the IDE does not notice that the project should be rebuilt when you just 'Make' it.

If rebuilding doesn't work, please check the dates of the file 'toggle.elf.ld', as it should have been re-generated. If the date is correct, open it and check the last line. It should be an INCLUDE of another script, which should also have been re-generated recently. Check these files dates, and eventually delete them and rebuild again to make sure that Ride re-generates them.

Please let me know how it goes.

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 28   2009-03-22 15:38:17 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

Gidimiz

Hi Vincent.

Few things:

1. I couldn't run your project. for some reason the project saves the path of the file and not uses the default path. This was the error message:
http://www.ptp-images.com/mini/rzkmc68100.jpg

2. I also couldn't use the RFlasher7. I had the same error message as before with the memory.

I can tell you the we did manage somehow to run the software but not as you said. We ( the IT support that I have and I  ) have tried what you said and more then that. Nothing worked. The software needs complete restriction, maybe its the USB driver, maybe it is something else, if you don't have the Admin rights, it doesn't work!

Solution:

At then end, what we did is this:
1. As the software doesn't run when you right click and do "Run As", the IT made a short cut with the following command:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\runas.exe /savecred /profile /user:Admin "C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Bin\Ride7.exe"
2. The syntax should be used exactly as I have pasted it
3. instead of the Admin user, any other user name should be used with full access rights. It can also be Admin for the local computer only, so the user will not be able to do anything on the network.
4. If the IT doesn't want the user to know the admin password, then the /savecred is used. After install the software with the admin password, the link should be used and run.
5. At the first run a prompt window will come up and will ask for the admin password. After entering the password, the XP will save it and from now on when running the link, the prompt window will come up and will disappear without prompting for the password. This will work as long as the admin password doesn't change.

This works! no problem what so ever, and I can run the software under my profile.

If you ever fix the software, please let me know.

Best regards.

Last edited by Gidimiz (2009-03-22 15:41:20)

# 29   2009-03-23 09:02:25 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

Thank you very much for the testing and report.

The first error message you reported is just about the windows opened in the editor. It means that when I saved the project on my PC, this file was opened, but on your PC it doesn't find it. That should not prevent you from compiling and debugging. Have you tried it? Did you get other error messages after this one?

I really don't understand why you need to give admin rights to Ride. I don't have to do that on my PCs. Your workaround is very interesting to know but I probably cannot generalize it. Have you checked the updating of the ld and hex files in your application directory?

Can you please try to extract the hex file from my zip file and load it in RFlasher in user mode? (make sure you are in a directory where you are allowed to write)
If that works, then the problem is only related to the compile/link chain. If not, then there is a problem in the programming/debugging.

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 30   2009-03-24 10:52:22 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

malerherbert

hi!
i now found time to check...

i gave full write access to both ld files:
STM32F103_32K_32K_FLASH.ld
STM32F103_32K_32K_DEF.ld
in the /lib/arm directory

now it is compilation works and i get build succeed

but it's not possible to debug the project on the device. i get the memory failure message...

i just have used filemon and regmon from the sysinternal suite. so it is possible to me to check which file needs write access. same with regmon which shows me to wich reg entry ride7 has no access (message: access denied) but needs access...
so ride7 not only needs write access to some files but also to regestry, but not only in HKEY_Current_User....
please take a look at the log from filemon and regmon...

i installed ride7 as admin and when i start ride7 as restricted user for the first time i get the fllowing errors:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z241/malerherbert/ride7resusr1.jpg
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z241/malerherbert/ride7resusr2.jpg

but only for the first time when i start ride7 as restricted user...
later when i start ride7 i don't get those errors, but i get following errors from filemon wich shows me "access denied" to files ride7 need access:

$1

Code:

61    11:54:57    explorer.exe:3268    OPEN    C:\Programme\Raisonance\Ride\Bin\Ride7.exe    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
1160    11:55:00    Ride7.exe:2736    OPEN    C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
1168    11:55:00    Ride7.exe:2736    OPEN    C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
1176    11:55:00    Ride7.exe:2736    OPEN    C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
1184    11:55:00    Ride7.exe:2736    OPEN    C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
1189    11:55:00    Ride7.exe:2736    OPEN    C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
1194    11:55:00    Ride7.exe:2736    OPEN    C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
1199    11:55:00    Ride7.exe:2736    OPEN    C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
1204    11:55:00    Ride7.exe:2736    OPEN    C:\WINDOWS\system32\SHELL32.dll    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
1251    11:55:00    Ride7.exe:2736    OPEN    C:\Programme\Opera\opera.exe    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
1256    11:55:00    Ride7.exe:2736    OPEN    C:\Programme\Opera\opera.exe    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
1261    11:55:00    Ride7.exe:2736    OPEN    C:\Programme\Opera\opera.exe    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
1266    11:55:00    Ride7.exe:2736    OPEN    C:\Programme\Opera\opera.exe    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
2413    11:55:01    Ride7.exe:2736    OPEN    C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1031-7B44-A91000000001}\PDFFile_8.ico    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
2421    11:55:01    Ride7.exe:2736    OPEN    C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1031-7B44-A91000000001}\PDFFile_8.ico    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
2429    11:55:01    Ride7.exe:2736    OPEN    C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1031-7B44-A91000000001}\PDFFile_8.ico    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
2437    11:55:01    Ride7.exe:2736    OPEN    C:\WINDOWS\Installer\{AC76BA86-7AD7-1031-7B44-A91000000001}\PDFFile_8.ico    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard

$1

Code:

6    13.62923717    Ride7.exe:2308    OpenKey    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\Winmm    ACCESS DENIED    Access: 0xF003F REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
7    13.62939644    Ride7.exe:2308    CreateKey    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\Winmm    ACCESS DENIED    Access: 0xF003F REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
8    13.62982178    Ride7.exe:2308    CreateKey    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\Winmm    ACCESS DENIED    Access: 0xF003F REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
9    14.17455673    Ride7.exe:2308    SetValue    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\AppData    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
10    16.57308578    Ride7.exe:2308    SetValue    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Cache    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
11    16.57341766    Ride7.exe:2308    SetValue    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Cookies    ACCESS DENIED    REIKERWORK3\Reinhard

$1

Code:

22    8.04127312    dwf2xml.exe:2844    OpenKey    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\Winmm    ACCESS DENIED    Access: 0xF003F REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
23    8.04143143    dwf2xml.exe:2844    CreateKey    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\Winmm    ACCESS DENIED    Access: 0xF003F REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
24    8.04186344    dwf2xml.exe:2844    CreateKey    HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\Winmm    ACCESS DENIED    Access: 0xF003F REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
25    8.07753849    dwf2xml.exe:2844    OpenKey    HKLM\Software\RAISONANCE\Ride7\ARMDerivatives\STM32F103VET6_CircleOS    ACCESS DENIED    Access: 0xF003F REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
26    8.54803848    Ride7.exe:2888    OpenKey    HKLM\Software\RAISONANCE\Ride7\ARMDerivatives\STM32F103VET6_CircleOS    ACCESS DENIED    Access: 0xF003F REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
27    8.59869003    Ride7.exe:2888    OpenKey    HKLM\Software\RAISONANCE\Ride7\ARMDerivatives\STM32F103VET6_CircleOS    ACCESS DENIED    Access: 0xF003F REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
28    13.89335537    explorer.exe:3268    CreateKey    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Tracing    ACCESS DENIED    Access: 0xF003F REIKERWORK3\Reinhard    
29    13.89358044    explorer.exe:3268    CreateKey    HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Tracing    ACCESS DENIED    Access: 0xF003F REIKERWORK3\Reinhard

Last edited by malerherbert (2009-03-24 12:49:26)

# 31   2009-03-24 14:22:16 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

Thanks for the logging, that will help much.

I will not be able to correct all this in a short time. (we already postponed our release by several days because of this problem...)
But seeing this and the error you get, I guess that simply correcting the type of accesses that Ride7 and dwf2xml make to HKLM\Software\RAISONANCE\Ride7\ARMDerivatives\STM32F103VET6_CircleOS should solve it.
(replacing the KEY_ALL_ACCESS by KEY_READ, I just checked and they only read this key, as they should)

Now, I don't have the error you get here (I still don't understand why... maybe some manual meddling with reg keys), so could you please try to allow accesses to this key and tell me if that's enough?

Best Regards,

Vincent

# 32   2009-03-25 19:26:00 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

malerherbert

i've just gave full access to "HKLM\Software\RAISONANCE\Ride7\ARMDerivatives\STM32F103VET6_CircleOS" and it seems to work now...

# 33   2009-03-26 09:31:34 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

VincentC
Administrator

Hi,

Thanks to both of you for the reporting and testing.
I uninstalled and deleted everything (directories, reg keys, and even users, ...) and reinstalled and then finally I could see the problem on my PC.
And it was solved by the same fixes we discussed. smile
So here are the changes that will be made to the next release of Ride concerning this problem:

1. During install, give all accesses to everyone on <Ride>\Examples and subfolders.
2. During execution (compile, link, ...), create all temp files in the application directory (where there is the rapp file) or output directory (where there is the elf file).
3. During execution (debug, program, ...), only access HKLM sub-keys in READ mode.
Then it should be OK.
We will see if we can do something about the iPlotLibrary message, but we already checked that this problem is only a useless link that is missing, so it does not lead to any missing feature or service failure.
It's only an annoying warning message that can be ignored.

# 34   2009-03-26 09:33:52 Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

VincentC
Administrator

Here is the summary of how to make it work for people using older (current) versions that don't have time to read all the posts in the thread:
1. Logged as admin, install Ride and all the kits you need.
2. Logged as admin, give all accesses to everyone on the Ride install dir and all its subdirectories and all files inside.
3. Logged as admin, give all accesses to everyone on the "HKLM\Software\RAISONANCE\Ride7\ARMDerivatives" key and all its subkeys.
4. Logged as admin, plug the RLink and read the Serial Number at least once.
5. Logged as user, start Ride, ignore the two messages about iPlotLibrary, close and restart Ride and check that the messages don't appear again.
After that everything should be fine.

I will now close this thread, so that this summary stays at the end of the thread, clearly visible.
If you think that this information is wrong or incomplete, please contact me by private message or by email (support@raisonance.com), and I will re-open the thread.

Best Regards,

Vincent

• Index
  •  » STM32 primer
  •  » Primer2: Execution out of debugging limittion: PC=0xFFFFFFFE Error

Board footer