/var/www/restricted/ssh/stm32/www/stm32circle/ STM CircleOS forum / New Design for Primer: embedded mixed signal processing and control

Username:     
Password:     

Forum
  • Index
  •  » STM32 primer
  •  » New Design for Primer: embedded mixed signal processing and control

# 1   2008-02-29 08:53:54 New Design for Primer: embedded mixed signal processing and control

jingxizhang

New Design for Primer: embedded mixed signal processing and control

In the comments of my contest project ECG Primer 1.0 there are some controversy discussions on hardware add-on issues.
STM32 Primer, unlike other development board, has a unique package like a consumer product. It has small OS, MEMS driven menu and high level libraries for the underneath hardware peripherals and for the display. It is excellent platform for the application software engineer development small size game and other utility applications. Many embedded mixed signal processing engineers, including me, also love this platform. However, hacking the hardware and soldering the surface mount component is not every engineer like to do. I think if the new Primer can allow an add-on card being easily inserted to the main PCB it can expand the Primer functions and adding the features to it. I have some suggestion on the package changes showing in following draws. It is based on the same Primer foundation and without increase the cost. I also showed some application examples. The drawing is conceptive; the size and form factor are just the example.

http://aycu30.webshots.com/image/46629/2004086238970770740_rs.jpg
On top the Primer should have a slot for inserting a small add-on card. I would like a pushbutton on top (like the digital camera). In my ECG Primer 1.0, both my thumbs are holding the ECG electrodes. I can use the index finger to control the functions such as stop the ECG momentary or adjust the heart beat detector threshold.

http://aycu16.webshots.com/image/45975/2004098901174752509_rs.jpg

http://aycu33.webshots.com/image/47552/2004016921183518061_rs.jpg
The add-on card cover can open in case of the add-on card need more space. The signal pin at the connector can be same as current Primer J1 connector which has all signals required.

http://aycu30.webshots.com/image/46989/2004016348983906796_rs.jpg
Application example: Tilt meter (leveling device) with laser beam for alignment.

http://aycu07.webshots.com/image/45206/2004008242321710698_rs.jpg
Application example: 1.Ultrasound range finder (distance measureing meter) 2. Low res digital camera.

http://aycu02.webshots.com/image/43921/2004095975495387644_rs.jpg
Application example: Zigbee or IEEE 802.15.4 wireless control device

I hope the STM32 Primer becomes a better toy for both software and embedded developers.

Regards,

Jingxi Zhang

Last edited by jingxizhang (2008-02-29 16:28:20)

# 2   2008-02-29 14:17:07 New Design for Primer: embedded mixed signal processing and control

ThomasScherrer
Website

Re: New Design for Primer: embedded mixed signal processing and control

really good idea,
I suggest both push buttons to be of joystick type with activate push,
so we can input different user interactions much better and much faster.

I love the idea about a board edge connector with (large 2.54) pitched pads,
so we can fast and easy design addon boards,
what about a digital scope frontend, two BNC connectors, opamps, range selectors, the STM32 could be a nice little
pocket scope with two channels and even MHz capeable, the USB can be real time data on PC screen also

Thomas Scherrer Denmark webx.dk

# 3   2008-02-29 17:57:57 New Design for Primer: embedded mixed signal processing and control

Francis
Administrator

Thanks for the suggestions. I fully agree that this platform must allow to easily plug some additional components.

At the moment, instead of considering a edge connector, I have in mind a HE10 connector that could receive either a board, or a ribbon cable connector (a board for applications like the ECG, and a ribbon cable to interconnect Primers or to test a simple sensor without developping a new board.  A HE10 connector is a low cost, easy to handle solution.

For the list of the signal on this connector, I propose the following definition (for a 16 pin connector):

Vcc-OUT                GND
I2C-SCL                  I2C-SDA
(SPI) MISO             MOSI (SPI)
(SPI clock) SCK       GND
CANH                    CANL
I/O-Timer               I/O-Timer
I/O-AIN                  I/O-AIN
Vcc-IN                    GND

Vcc-out would allow to power an external device, and Vcc-In would allow to reload the internal batteries if the Primer is (for example) connected to a Robot with a strong battery.

At the moment, I agree for adding buttons, but I discard the joystick for two reasons:
  1. The joystick will make the design of the box more complex and more expensive. We want to keep a low price (and a large volume) to keep a wide international community,
  2.  Our idea is to improve the handling of the MEMS that will have the same function.  We have seen that the current management of the MEMS is not convenient enough (the Chess game is pretty nice, but very difficult to play!). We should find solutions to adapt the MEMS information to the situation. That's will be the goal of the next release of the CircleOS.

The idea to keep a small window (slot) for the connected board is fine too. 

Again, thank you very much for your suggestions.

# 4   2008-02-29 19:04:53 New Design for Primer: embedded mixed signal processing and control

jingxizhang

Yes, I agree with Francis. The Primer should maintain low cost and keep its unique MEMS control mechanism. It will be very good if the accelerometer response time and the noise can be improved (I think the floor noise of the MEMS is the key. The slow response is partially due to the delay on the low pass filter for averaging the noise).
The connector pin assignment is great. I am not sure if the optional SPI NSS pin should be added (maybe shared the pin with other function).

Jingxi

# 5   2008-03-01 20:55:11 New Design for Primer: embedded mixed signal processing and control

jaguarondi

The joystick of the AVR butterfly is pretty neat and seems to be inexpensive as the butterfly itself costs around 20EUR IIRC. (http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools … ol_id=3146)
It's simply five buttons in one so I'm not sure it's more expensive than 5 buttons. It's really great for navigating menus.

• Index
  •  » STM32 primer
  •  » New Design for Primer: embedded mixed signal processing and control

Board footer