/var/www/restricted/ssh/stm32/www/stm32circle/ STM CircleOS forum / Joystick problem

Username:     
Password:     

Forum

# 1   2009-04-15 14:15:05 Joystick problem

MAVR-8

Joystick problem

Hi, I just got a brand new Primer2. The joystick button responds very poor in the "down" direction, most often I get a "click" instead of/at the same time as "down" motion of the cursor. (which is not correct behaivour from the joystick). "Left/Right/Up" is no problem, neither is navigating with MEMS.

Sending the unit back to the seller is an option, but as postage and handeling costs increase the value of the already expensive Primer2 by more than 10% I dont feel good doing that.

The quality of the Primer2 seem low. At least the unit I got. Unfortunately Im disapointed, since I was hoping this toy would be great fun. (And Im sure it is, once I get the joystick to work).

As far as I can see the joystick mechanism is a unit which might be difficult to fix.
Any suggestions?

# 2   2009-04-15 16:14:26 Joystick problem

victor_passe

Re: Joystick problem

My joystick is bad also.
And extra bad at down.

Also when i try to run any application that i install my buzzer just beep and the unit dos not respond to anything.

# 3   2009-04-15 16:36:30 Joystick problem

Francis
Administrator

I suggest the following:
Remove the Primer from its plastic case, and remove the orange button. Does the joystick work properly without the orange button ? If yes, it could be a default of the plastic that could be easily fixed. If not, we will have to replace the joystick.
A workaround: the use of the joystick if 'optional'. The commands in the menus can be launched by three ways:
    a. The joystick,
    b. The MEMS (by tilting the board),
    c. The touchscreen (better with a stylus).

# 4   2009-04-15 16:50:51 Joystick problem

victor_passe

Thanks, it works better now.
Not prefect but ok.

I also saw that U9(?) the regulator with thin wires had been fixxed.

# 5   2009-04-19 09:55:28 Joystick problem

MAVR-8

I thought I was doomed to do three-direction-movement applications for the rest of my life! The joystick was soldered slightly off-center on the PCB. This made the orange button to be pressed down/clicked by the case when moving the joystick in the downward direction. But as the joystick worked perfect without the plastic case, it was easy to fix. Instead of removing plastic with a knife, I put in a spacer, clearing the orange joystick button from the plasic case. Ok, now the case dosnt close all that tight, but the joystick works perfect and it is sufficient. Time to start doing funstuff!

Btw, one of the plastic "legs" on the orange button is missing. Is that the normal design of the orange button? I couldnt find any pictures of it to verify.

# 6   2009-04-20 06:15:45 Joystick problem

Francis
Administrator

Yes, it is normal. Don't remember why...

Board footer