/var/www/restricted/ssh/stm32/www/stm32circle/ STM CircleOS forum / Primer-2 Max Flash size CODE

Username:     
Password:     

Forum

# 1   2009-03-08 10:12:05 Primer-2 Max Flash size CODE

EnricoM

Primer-2 Max Flash size CODE

Hi gentleman,
I'm developing an application on Primer-2 but if I exceed 8K the compiler/linker tells me:

----------------Make Started: 'Application0' in configuration 'Circle_Release'--------------------------

Building C:\ENRICO\Raisonance\Primer2\GardenIrrigator2\Application.c
Running: GCC
\"C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\arm-gcc\bin\arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe" -MD -D_STM32F103VET6_ -D_STM3x_ -D_STM32x_ -mthumb   -mcpu=cortex-m3 "C:\ENRICO\Raisonance\Primer2\GardenIrrigator2\Application.c" -o "C:\ENRICO\Raisonance\Primer2\GardenIrrigator2\objrelease\Application.o" -I "." -I "C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Lib\ARM\include" -c     -fsigned-char         -Os   -ffunction-sections         -mlittle-endian
\"C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Bin\rexrdr.exe" "C:\ENRICO\Raisonance\Primer2\GardenIrrigator2\objrelease\Application.lst" 0 "C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\arm-gcc\bin\arm-none-eabi-objdump.exe" --disassemble -all --source "C:\ENRICO\Raisonance\Primer2\GardenIrrigator2\objrelease\Application.o"
\"C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Bin\rexrdr.exe" "C:\ENRICO\Raisonance\Primer2\GardenIrrigator2\objrelease\Application.o.sizetmp" 0 "C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\arm-gcc\bin\arm-none-eabi-size.exe" "C:\ENRICO\Raisonance\Primer2\GardenIrrigator2\objrelease\Application.o"

Building C:\ENRICO\Raisonance\Primer2\GardenIrrigator2\Application0.rapp
Running: LD
\"C:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\arm-gcc\bin\arm-none-eabi-gcc.exe" -mcpu=cortex-m3 -mthumb  -Wl,-T -Xlinker "C:\ENRICO\Raisonance\Primer2\GardenIrrigator2\objrelease\Application0.elf.ld" -u _start  -nostartfiles -Wl,-Map -Xlinker "C:\ENRICO\Raisonance\Primer2\GardenIrrigator2\objrelease\Application0.map"   
c:/program files/raisonance/ride/arm-gcc/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.3.2/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: C:\ENRICO\Raisonance\Primer2\GardenIrrigator2\objrelease\Application0.elf section .text will not fit in region FLASH 
c:/program files/raisonance/ride/arm-gcc/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/4.3.2/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: region FLASH overflowed by 440 bytes 
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status 

Build failed

The question is:
Which is the maximum space for the program ?

Thank you very much in advance for the answer.
E.M.

# 2   2009-03-09 07:05:17 Primer-2 Max Flash size CODE

Francis
Administrator

Re: Primer-2 Max Flash size CODE

There is no limitation for programming, but debugging is possible up to 32KB (including the first 24KB of the OS) with the standard version.
If you want to extend this value you have to modify the ld file. Debugging will not work if your program execute over the 32KB border. However, you could spit the constant and the program (no problem if you put the constant over the 32KB).

# 3   2009-03-09 09:57:45 Primer-2 Max Flash size CODE

Francis
Administrator

Sorry, a colleague of mines just told me that it would not work... RIDE will refuse to debug after programming over the 32KB border, even if this part is not executable. To be modified...

# 4   2009-04-12 01:04:15 Primer-2 Max Flash size CODE

EnricoM

Hi Francis,

At the moment I resolve my problem using the answer at:
Circle OS Max App Size? by Kremer 
This solution has a limit not to allow debugging.
I hope that in the future will give the opportunity to do debugging on at least 16/32K.

Thank you
E.M.

Board footer