/var/www/restricted/ssh/stm32/www/stm32circle/ STM CircleOS forum / How to update CircleOS ?

Username:     
Password:     

Forum

# 1   2009-01-09 20:56:50 How to update CircleOS ?

zwieblum

How to update CircleOS ?

Somehow I cannot update CircleOS on my Primer1. Here is what I did:

- download "CircleOS-2.0.zip"
- upack it to "c:\Program Files\Raisonance\Ride\Lib\ARM\" where it creates a folder called "Circle"
- open "Circle.rprj" in RIDE7
- make project - no error
- call "create_circle_factory.bat", this gives these results:

"cortex_pgm TSTM32F103RBT6 E POS\obj\Circle.hex S": succeeds, the primer showa the usal startup screen
"circle_mgr.exe AApplications\Maze\obj\Maze.o L S": Error 203, file not found Application\Maze\obj\Maze.o
"circle_mgr.exe AApplications\Breakout\obj\Breakout.o L S" Error 203, same as above
"cortex_pgm TSTM32F103RBT6 DCircle_Factory.hex" succeeds, but locks the primer.

At this stage the lcd is black but backlight still on. Power off/on does not change anything.

When I only use the line "cortex_pgm TSTM32F103RBT6 E POS\obj\Circle.hex S", then the primer is working.
"About" says "OS: 3.2". But any application I flash crashes the primer, i.e. LCD black but backlight on.

I can always restor factory settings with "Restore_Circle_factory.bat", but that is the old CircleOS, "V 1.5".

On Primer2 - using the primer2 project files - the update succeeds. But when I try to upload an application (compiled for primer2, of course) - the primers LCD locks up after flashing. Power off/on and pressing the button turns the primer on, but the screen is white. But I can restore factory settings. Primer2 factory settings say "OS 3.1".

Anyone any idea what goes wrong?

Last edited by zwieblum (2009-01-09 21:15:30)

# 2   2009-01-11 12:58:38 How to update CircleOS ?

zwieblum

Re: How to update CircleOS ?

Investigations so far led to this status:

CircleOS 1.7 compiles, installs and works fine with RIDE from Primer1-cd.
CircleOS 1.7 failes to compile with RIDE from Primer2-cd.
CircleOS 1.7 leaks any testapplications.

Both Primer-cds come without sourcode of CircleOS. So I cannot recompile the testapplications nor have a look at them.

CircleOS 3.1 - that comes with Primer2-cd - has no sourccode.

CircleOS-2.0.zip from the website that is said to be 3.1 is in fact CircleOS 3.2 ("About"). It compiles on RIDE form Primer2-cd both for primer1 and 2, but locks up when circle_mgr tries to upload an application, i.e. LCD goes black or white but the primer is still programmable.
CircleOS-2.0.zip does not compile with RIDE from Primer1-cd.

Many Primer1-Projects fail to compile with RIDE from Primer2-cd with primer-1 projectfile and target.

For me this looks like a complete mess. Not only that RIDE from Primer2-cd is not a direct replacement for RIDE from primer1-cd, not even the project files are compatible. Thats really a showstopper.

The only usable combination is Circle 1.7 and RIDE from Primer1 cd and Primer-1. Luckily I have several Primer1 left and just one primer2 for evaluation (which will probably go back).

I just hope Primer1 wil stay available uite a while ...

# 3   2009-01-11 14:27:06 How to update CircleOS ?

Francis
Administrator

1.7, 1.8 and earlier versions do not compile because the STM32 library has changed. Since version 2.0, we changed the version of STM32.lib (to be aligned with ST). Now, we include directly the source files  of the STM32 library in order to avoid these problems..

Version 3.1 and 3.2 are valid for both Primer1 and Primer2. They have to be compiled with specific projects, where the macros PRIMER1 or PRIMER2 (either one or the other) are defined. The same set of source files work for both Primers.

Primer1 is still available (ST made some stocks for at least one year, but I believe that we will not launch any production in the future) . We always check that the CircleOS still work for both Primer 1 and 2. But we don't add any new feature (on bug fixes) to Primer1. We work only on Primer2.

# 4   2009-01-11 14:34:57 How to update CircleOS ?

zwieblum

Ok, but what am I doing wrong that I cannot compile CircleOS-3* in such a way that it works on primer 2 and/or 1?

# 5   2009-01-11 14:48:44 How to update CircleOS ?

Francis
Administrator

I don't have a Primer1 today, and I will test it tomorrow. We will try to publish the next version very soon too...  If you want it earlier to test it, let me know. More tests would be better...

# 6   2009-01-11 14:49:57 How to update CircleOS ?

zwieblum

I'd like to test it, definitly :-)

# 7   2009-01-11 14:56:35 How to update CircleOS ?

Francis
Administrator

ok, I prepare a mail...

# 8   2009-01-13 22:51:05 How to update CircleOS ?

zwieblum

ok, I found something that caused a part of my problems on primer1:

circle_mgr e*

erases parts of circleOS on primer 1, if I did not power off after the previouse circle_mgr -command. usually I get an error 304, but sometimes the call succeeds and erases too much. dont know about primer 2 yet.

EDIT: I forgot, this appears on circleos 3.2 and beta, but not on 1.7. so this is quite strange, i think.

Last edited by zwieblum (2009-01-14 11:27:54)

Board footer