/var/www/restricted/ssh/stm32/www/stm32circle/ STM CircleOS forum / stm32 primer enclosure not closing

Username:     
Password:     

Forum

# 1   2008-06-24 18:11:39 stm32 primer enclosure not closing

asteronimo

stm32 primer enclosure not closing

I received my stm32 primer today.

The enclosure and the button are really crap.
It is impossible to keep the enclosure closed.
And if I dangle it from its cord the board falls out!

Anyone else got this problem?

I am very disappointed by the design.

_ Asteronimo

# 2   2008-06-25 09:28:41 stm32 primer enclosure not closing

Francis
Administrator

Re: stm32 primer enclosure not closing

We never heard about such problems (and it's hard to imagine the board falling from the enclosure).

# 3   2008-06-25 19:06:37 stm32 primer enclosure not closing

lou

I am a bit disappointed by the fact that the enclosure doesn't snap together, at least weakly.  But if you've got it hanging from a lanyard, that should go through the slots in both the enclosure and the board, preventing the board from falling out and more or less holding everything together by gravity.

# 4   2008-06-27 09:18:37 stm32 primer enclosure not closing

Francis
Administrator

It's true that there is no screw to maintain the two sides of the enclosure, but the cord is supposed to avoid any fall...
On the principle, the Primer is an intermediate object between a fully opened evaluation board, and and a 'end-user', fully enclosed device.

# 5   2008-06-28 06:56:15 stm32 primer enclosure not closing

asteronimo

IMHO that's just another way of saying it's crap.
What are you, a marketing guy?

Look at other products like the PIC and Arduino stuff.

# 6   2008-06-28 07:24:32 stm32 primer enclosure not closing

Francis
Administrator

I am working on the next design of the "Primer2", and I am interested by your remarks.

# 7   2008-06-29 17:24:20 stm32 primer enclosure not closing

Charles99

Actually I think it's a quite good design - easy to access internals when needed; mine has no tendency to come apart when I don't want it to.  It's also a good bit less money than other primer / development systems.

Charles

# 8   2008-07-01 09:24:49 stm32 primer enclosure not closing

lou

asteronimo :

Look at other products like the PIC and Arduino stuff.

Your examples are somewhat lacking.  Arduino is a board.  No enclosure.  Not yet; and, considering the port layout, perhaps not ever.  PIC is just a chip family.

It is what it is.  If you don't like it, don't buy the primers.  The original version didn't even have an enclosure.  It was a plain board, worn from lanyards by conference attendees who were lucky enough to get them.  You could always use yours like that.  Personally, I find that that makes it a lot harder to operate the button.

# 9   2008-07-09 06:57:09 stm32 primer enclosure not closing

dragan

I am interested to know the exact electronic scheme of STM32 primer.
Please let me know by e-mail

dragan_gdf@yahoo.com

# 10   2008-07-09 07:30:27 stm32 primer enclosure not closing

Francis
Administrator

The schematic is already available on this web site. See 'Resources' ( http://www.stm32circle.com/resources/stm32primer.php ).

# 11   2008-07-17 03:19:58 stm32 primer enclosure not closing

mjscottinnc

This thread started as a complaint on how the device was designed or manufactured. I received my unit today and I totally agree. The unit I have has an enclosure that will not stay closed and the board does fall out when the devise is moved using the mems for option selection. Either this is a very poorly design unit, or the manufacturer in China is doing a poor job. I also totally agree on the push button, it is very difficult to depress. After the unit is programmed in debug mode the display mirrors and will not correct until after a hard reset. So far this has left a very bad impression.

# 12   2008-07-17 08:28:44 stm32 primer enclosure not closing

Patrick

Hello everyone,

The mecanical problems you seem to encounter is a bit surprising.
We always ask our suppliers to do quality checks. We also do random check (quality, fonctionnal...) when we receive each batch(~2000pcs)

The enclosure design was made to be opened easily, but it should be able to stay closed and sustain small chocks
I will investigate our chinese suppliers/designers for that matter.

Those who think their product is malfunctioning can send it back to us for remplacement. (mjscottinnc...your Primer may have a real electronic problem)

Best regards

Last edited by Patrick (2008-07-24 14:57:15)

Patrick SIONG, Manufacturing Manager
RAISONANCE SAS
17 avenue Jean Kunztmann
38330 MONBONNOT, FRANCE

# 13   2008-07-17 23:14:19 stm32 primer enclosure not closing

mjscottinnc

Patrick,

Do you really think that my system might have a real electronic problem?

Here are is what I have been able to do and not do. The software that was preloaded had Circle OS 1.0. The demo application worked, but not to well. The mems position is difficult to accurately and smoothly control. When I load a new application using the debugger the screen mirrors, every time and will not correct with a soft reset. I loaded Circle OS 1.7 and tried to reload the demo games. Nether would load correctly and causes the system to do nothing, backlit but blank screen. I must use the reload procedure using cortex_pgm. At this point the development and testing of test application is impossible.

I suppose that the mems might be bad, but since I’m able to reload the OS and the screen works correctly, it seems more like software rather then hardware.

Will all the applications in the web site work with any version of CircleOS? Or are they version specific?

If you think that my system needs replaced, how do I go about the exchange?

# 14   2008-07-24 14:55:00 stm32 primer enclosure not closing

Patrick

Hello mjscottinnc,

The screen mirror problem you have, had been identified very early, it took me a while to understand your problem tongue
If you still encounter that problem it means that your LCD module is not soldered correctly (short circuit between I/Os, etc...)

I can send you a new one if you'd like.
We'll look at your software problem after you  received the new Primer. (and if you still have graphic problems afterwards)

Regards,

Last edited by Patrick (2008-07-24 14:57:01)

RAISONANCE SAS
17 avenue Jean Kunztmann
38330 MONBONNOT, FRANCE

# 15   2008-09-02 23:09:15 stm32 primer enclosure not closing

jacques

I agree that the design of this box is not a big success.
A box should be open or closed, but not in between. A small snapping effect should have fixed this.
The tamgotchi are a thing of the past.
For a developper, the round shape, the cord , this toy look  are asolutely useless.

But for the inside, the electronic hardware, the toolkit : brilliant.
best dev tool EVER compared to the price (Arduino lovers can sit and pray),
what an exciting teaser to move to ST ARM CORTEX familly.

http://imgs.sesamea.fr/tamagotchi-bandai-15765_m.jpg

# 16   2008-10-07 16:09:05 stm32 primer enclosure not closing

mjscottinnc

Patrick,

I never did receive a replacement unit and the one I have has not worked properly since it was frist received.

# 17   2008-10-08 12:54:30 stm32 primer enclosure not closing

Patrick

Hey I thought that this matter was treated...

I'll send it myself since no one did it while I was away

Sorry for that

RAISONANCE SAS
17 avenue Jean Kunztmann
38330 MONBONNOT, FRANCE

# 18   2008-11-07 18:07:59 stm32 primer enclosure not closing

Shinji1111981
Website

Hello ,

I buy my stm32primer today.But now it´s broken , the LCD is mirrored and the color is inverted.
I check it with the installed Firmware (Circle OS1.7 and with version 2.0) ,but it is the same. Sometimes it works but if i restart the primer it is mirrored again.
Now my question : can in resolder the connection of the LCD or what can i do?

MFG
Ronny

# 19   2008-11-08 21:07:22 stm32 primer enclosure not closing

hsbremen

The STM32 primer unit I received from my supplier had two of the six holes (that take the pins of the top cover) already broken. Since there were no traces of the broken out orange plastic in the box, I wonder where this happened (befor packing?).

Anyways, I found a way to make things sit more tightly: glue and small pieces of a match-stick.

The match-stick is only for those with broken holes: just glue a bit of wood at where plastic is lacking, then use a drill. And cut away everything that's extra.

For all those lucky enough to have a unit that is shipped in an optically proper state and nevertheless has the top cover float around, it might be a good idea to put a bit of glue on the pins of the top cover, just some small balls of glue that will, when dried, make things fit more tightly by simply using up some extra space in the holes.

So, please let the glue get dry $1 fitting the top cover again. Else you will have the opposite problem of what this topic is about smile

Board footer