/var/www/restricted/ssh/stm32/www/stm32circle/ STM CircleOS forum / Issue with two exactly the same EvoPrimers. Help, anyone?

Username:     
Password:     

Forum
  • Index
  •  » STM32 primer
  •  » Issue with two exactly the same EvoPrimers. Help, anyone?

# 1   2011-06-10 15:26:47 Issue with two exactly the same EvoPrimers. Help, anyone?

ekawahyu

Issue with two exactly the same EvoPrimers. Help, anyone?

Hi all,

I have two EvoPrimer base units and two daughter boards. Unboxing and testing, they are ok. I swap the daughter boards, nothing unusual happens. I keep one daughter board untouched with its original firmware on it (as precaution) and used it as reference in case unusual thing happens.

I download the example with CircleOS, build it, and load it. It seems to work just fine with one base unit but not ok with the other one. Both base units seem to be able to flash, debug, etc, but on one of them I'm not able to access the peripherals on the base unit (not even turning on LEDs). At this point, I suspect that one base unit is faulty. But the funny thing is, when I put the daughter board with the untouched firmware on it, both base units are able to run just fine.

I open the case, they are of the same hardware version and components. No difference at all. I am able to flash the daughter board with the "suspected faulty" base unit without any problem, but the base unit itself is not able to run it.

So, which one is faulty? daughter board... base unit... daughter board... base unit... (I am in total confusion by now wink

Anyone?

# 2   2011-06-14 09:23:27 Issue with two exactly the same EvoPrimers. Help, anyone?

yrt
Administrator
Website

Re: Issue with two exactly the same EvoPrimers. Help, anyone?

I'm not sure I've all understood.
You can program both daughter cards, but one of them does not work with the example ?
The card with the factory firmware runs on both bases ?
Which example did you program, and did you try this example on the second card (it looks like a software issue).

# 3   2011-06-14 16:15:24 Issue with two exactly the same EvoPrimers. Help, anyone?

ekawahyu

Well, let say I restore both EvoPrimer to the factory setting. Let's name it one base unit A with daughter board A, and the other as base unit B with daughter board B.

Base unit A is able to run the demo with daughter board A and B.
Base unit B is able to run the demo with daughter board B only.

You say that daughter board B is faulty, but how come a faulty daughter board can run the demo? Let's say the base unit B is faulty, I could debug my application without any problem on it.

As long as base unit A stays with A, everything runs fine, and the same thing as base unit B and daughter board B.

# 4   2011-06-15 06:31:08 Issue with two exactly the same EvoPrimers. Help, anyone?

yrt
Administrator
Website

I did not say that daughter B was faulty. I supposed a software issue. Anyway, may be it is a mismatch problem between daughter B and base A. We met some connection problem cases between some target boards and some bases.
Which type of daughter board you have, STM32E or STM32C ?

# 5   2011-06-15 09:23:46 Issue with two exactly the same EvoPrimers. Help, anyone?

ekawahyu

The STM32E. As long as I don't swap them, everyone is happy. If it was connection issue, I should be able to use at least the joystick, or LEDs, but none of them are accessible, let alone the LCD.

What am I supposed top say to ST to get replacement since I don't know which one is faulty? FYI, I measured the daughter board thickness and they are exactly the same.

OOT: One design flaw I noticed from the daughter board. The JTAG/Trace connector is mirrored! I can't use trace connector to debug since I need to flip all pins. I guess I am lucky not to burn my JTAG/Trace hardware.

# 6   2011-06-15 11:45:46 Issue with two exactly the same EvoPrimers. Help, anyone?

yrt
Administrator
Website

What do you mean by mirrored ? Is the connector not conform to the schematics ?
Because the schematics matches the ARM ETM & SWD 20 pins connector.
FMY, which trace hardware do you use ?

# 7   2011-06-15 15:11:54 Issue with two exactly the same EvoPrimers. Help, anyone?

ekawahyu

http://www.segger.com/cms/admin/uploads … inkARM.pdf

The schematic is correct, but the PCB layout is mirrored. By looking at the daughter board, I had no idea of what orientation to plug JLink in. smile In fact, I had to create a converter (which basically mirrors the layout).

I have STM3210C-EVAL board which is working just fine with JLink.

# 8   2011-06-16 07:04:14 Issue with two exactly the same EvoPrimers. Help, anyone?

yrt
Administrator
Website

You're right. The schematics matches with the Jtag/SWD 19 pins connector of the JTrace tool, but the layout is mirrored...sad

# 9   2011-06-16 10:37:37 Issue with two exactly the same EvoPrimers. Help, anyone?

ekawahyu

Anyway, about the OP4 platforms, I still have no idea which one is faulty. As long as I don't swap them, they are perfectly fine.

# 10   2011-06-17 23:07:13 Issue with two exactly the same EvoPrimers. Help, anyone?

atitude
Website

The target voltage sense pin on the JTAG connector on the target board is floating (pin 1). While it is connected in the schematic to "VCC3", the intention probably was to connect it to "VCC3V1". As a result, when an external plug is plugged into the JTAG connector, the emulator may detect a low voltage on the target board.

Connecting VCC to VCC3V1 on the target board solved a target low voltage sense error.

# 11   2011-06-22 10:58:36 Issue with two exactly the same EvoPrimers. Help, anyone?

ekawahyu

What do you mean with sensing the JTAG connector?

FYI, as I wrote above, I don't have issue with debugging/flashing, but a pair of base and daughter units just don't run. Could you please explain about this VCC3V1 pin?

• Index
  •  » STM32 primer
  •  » Issue with two exactly the same EvoPrimers. Help, anyone?

Board footer