/var/www/restricted/ssh/stm32/www/stm32circle/ STM CircleOS forum / Beyond prototyping: which LCD screen?

Username:     
Password:     

Forum

# 1   2011-04-09 15:11:24 Beyond prototyping: which LCD screen?

gremlinc5

Beyond prototyping: which LCD screen?

Hi everyone,
I'm currently using EVO Primer as a prototyping platform and it looks great: CircleOS is simple enough to look what's "inside the box", the hardware is really flexible, etc. etc.

AFAICT a good prototyping workflow would be:
- create extension boards including additional hardware
- make the software work with the Primer (and the additional hardware)
- re-engineer everything to fit into a (hopefully) profitable product.

My only concern is about the LCD Screen. It seems to me it's the most complex and costly piece of hardware in the box.
A would like to change the screen panel, in future, but I would like to know in advance what should I do in order to do so. Do I have to rewrite a new LCD driver from the ground up? Are there any compatible, lower cost alternatives?
E.g. something that requires a minimal change in CircleOS to be supported.

Any comment (of any kind) would be REALLY appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Alberto

# 2   2011-04-11 07:45:18 Beyond prototyping: which LCD screen?

yrt
Administrator
Website

Re: Beyond prototyping: which LCD screen?

Hi Alberto,

The driver depends on the controller embedded in the LCD (IL9325 for EvoPrimer). Manufacturers often use the same one.
Hardware specific functions have been separated in the CircleOS project (lcd_spe.c, IL9325.c...), and port to a new platform is not a big work.
Generally the manufacturer provides software examples, specially for the power on and the settings.

Yves

# 3   2011-04-11 08:19:29 Beyond prototyping: which LCD screen?

gremlinc5

Re: Beyond prototyping: which LCD screen?

yrt :

Hi Alberto,

The driver depends on the controller embedded in the LCD (IL9325 for EvoPrimer). Manufacturers often use the same one.
Hardware specific functions have been separated in the CircleOS project (lcd_spe.c, IL9325.c...), and port to a new platform is not a big work.
Generally the manufacturer provides software examples, specially for the power on and the settings.

Yves

Thank you Yves!
I was hoping for something like that.

I will try and see if I can get something working.

A partial list of producers/models of LCD's using the same IL9325 ("hopefully compatible" or "easier to integrate" with CircleOS) would be really nice...
I know it could be a lot of work, so it's more a nice-to-have.

Thank you again.

Board footer